About the Spam & Virus Filter
What does the Spam Filter do?
- The filter monitors all incoming messages addressed to you to redirect those suspected of being spam and/or viruses before they are delivered to your Inbox.
- Messages that trigger spam criteria are placed into a “message quarantine box” for you to review and elect whether the email should be sent to your Inbox, or if they should be safely deleted as spam.
- You can choose to pre-define approved senders and domains to allow all messages to you from these senders to bypass the spam filter system.
The information below explains some of the basic features of the spam filter system
Logging in to your account
- After your account has been created, you will receive a welcome message from junk.spiretech.com that will provide you with your own username and password for accessing your spam filter mailbox.
- After receiving the welcome message, you can login by using your full email address as the username and the password that was assigned to you.
Forgot your Password? No problem!
Go to junk.spiretech.com
- Click the “Forgot your password? Click here” link which is underneath the login page.
- You will then be redirected to the Lost Password page which you can use to obtain a new password.
- In the Lost Password page, enter your full email address into the box and hit the “Send password reset email” button.
- A link you can follow to create a new password for your account and login.
Pending Message Alerts
When the filter has detected potential junk messages for you to review and determine if they are spam or if they are legitimate emails that should be delivered to your email Inbox you will receive an alert.
The system is set up to notify you only once per day about suspected spam from the same address or that is the same message — multiple emails from the same sender or that are the same message which are received on the same day are not set to generate additional alerts, but you can adjust your settings to be more frequent.
After you have successfully logged in, you will see the messages that have been held for review.
You can safely view these messages in the spam filter’s web browser, and choose to delete, deliver, and/or approve the senders for future emails.
If you see a message in the system and you want to know what the message content is, simply click the subject line and you will be safely taken to a new page where you can view the message content.
After you have looked through the messages, you can now start selecting how you want the captured messages to be handled by the system.
Understanding & Using the Spam Filter
- On the top right of the screen, you will see the Legend, which explains what each of the Column header icons mean.
- By default, all messages are set as “?”, which is “Do Nothing”. Clicking on the “?” icon at the top of the column will mark all messages with this action.
- The “X” column marks messages to delete. We suggest marking all messages for deletion to start.
Then, go down the list and mark any messages you want to be delivered by choosing the radio button under the “checkmark” column.
- You can also select the radio button under the “+” symbol to deliver the message and mark that sender as an “Approved Sender”. This will set that email address to bypass the spam filter system for future messages. We recommend only using this action when you know the sender is legitimate and you will be communicating with them frequently.
- Once you have selected the appropriate actions for all messages that have been quarantined, select the “Submit Changes” button on the left hand side (outlined in green) to apply the actions you selected.
Questions or Issues?
If you have any questions on how to use the Spam Filter, or run into any problems with it, feel free to give us a call at 503-222-3086 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org